lichess.org
Donate

Who thinks Hans Niemann is cheating in the Sinquefield cup 2022?

> I don't think Carlsen would take such a serious decision if he didn't have good reasons to believe he was right.

That's the same potential fallacy as "I'm sure this guy could never cheat". So I kinda disagree
@Cedur216 said in #42:
> That's the same potential fallacy as "I'm sure this guy could never cheat". So I kinda disagree

My reasoning is that Carlsen has very little to gain out of this whole drama, and a lot to lose. So it would sound strange to me that he'd take the risk without a good reason.
@esmiro said in #43:
> My reasoning is that Carlsen has very little to gain out of this whole drama, and a lot to lose. So it would sound strange to me that he'd take the risk without a good reason.

Again, we don't actually know why Carlsen withdrew, although we know it's not health-related.
@esmiro cheaters also have everything to lose, but with their self-hubris it doesn't stop them. So I'm not drawing ANY conclusions from Magnus' acting
@Toadofsky said in #44:
> Again, we don't actually know why Carlsen withdrew, although we know it's not health-related.

People keep saying it, but I just don't get it.

Suppose Magnus withdrew not because he thinks Hans has cheated, but for some completely unrelated reason. Don't you think he would by now have come out and made sure that this witch-hunt is stopped? All it would take is one tweet saying that he had been misunderstood and the reason he withdrew had nothing to do with Hans.

The fact that Magnus is silent means one of two things:

1. He indeed thinks that Hans has cheated.
2. He does not think that Hans has cheated but does not care that his actions have caused a massive misunderstanding that resulted in an innocent person's reputation drugged through the mud.

I think the former is way more plausible. Not one even half decent person would do the second.
Okay, let's put a few things straight:

- YES, Magnus thought he cheated. If the reason for him quitting was some other, he would have stepped up until now. A lot has happened and he's letting it all happen. Silently sitting there.

- Just because someone has cheated when he was 12 year old, doesn't mean he will when he is 19. This age is when you develop most of your moral values. I remember I used to cheat at freelancing when I was 16, I don't now. I haven't ever since I saw how low it was. It makes complete sense. Someone who tells he cheated once when confronted, will of course tell if he cheated now and is being confronted by this logic :s so this is just gibberish.

- Magnus, should not act like a total drama queen if he doesn't have the balls to prove his doubts. How is he cheating? Like what source does he have for that? An ear piece, some gadget, what? Why didn't magnus confront him right then and there.. let me correct that "Magnus" with a capital "M", i've lost so much respect for him.. gosh.. why didn't he call the moderator, tell them this guy's cheating I doubt, I can be wrong but I want an inspection or whatever. That would make a lot more sense than a lousy tweet and the quitting attitude.

Now here's what I think happened, Magnus Carlsen cannot understand the intellectual decline he's facing. So kids coming out and breaking his long streaks is something he cannot process. Well when you age life gets complicated, and so your concentration, your overall intellect and things just begin to decline. He's got a gf, heck, that takes half of your intellect anyway :P lol this is my theory. This is a time for him to retire I guess, or if he wouldn't like to, he really needs someone to explain to him about this phenomenon. :facepalm:
@esmiro said in #43:
> My reasoning is that Carlsen has very little to gain out of this whole drama, and a lot to lose. So it would sound strange to me that he'd take the risk without a good reason.

I don't think it was a well calculated decision.

It more and more looks like Magnus was salty and impulsive because he lost to a young, lower rated player who mocked him after the loss ("must be embarassing to lose to an idiot like me").
And in his grief he went for a path to harm Hans' career by bringing up his cheating past and make chess.com ban him from their site.

Typical human stuff that happens in different colors over and over in history.
In the end, it may turn out that Magnus is a bad loser and sees his goal of reaching 2900 Elo rating as a long way off.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.